When you participate in college athletics, it is exciting and fun. Sports, especially football, can teach you several things. You learn the values of teamwork, sportsman spirit, acceptance, and honesty. When you start playing as a footballer in college, you feel like a successful all-rounder. This boosts your confidence and self-worth.
Ayden Hector is an accomplished student-athlete in football from the USA. He plays for his varsity high school football team and has played at the national level at the Junior Olympics, FBU, All-American Bowl, my 7v7 travel team, and his AAU basketball team. He says there is no substitute for preparation and practice when it comes to playing college sports. He says that any sort of college sport will improve your physical and mental strength. It prepares you to have positive perseverance for life too.
He says being a student-athlete has the following advantages-
- It feels great to represent your college or university- This is a proud moment for any student. You get the opportunity to compete with students from other universities and colleges. When the students, teachers, and your alumni cheer for you on the field, that feeling is amazing.
- You automatically make lots of friends- Several students come to college and university sporting events. This means you get the opportunity to connect and interact with them. The moment you become a student-athlete; you do not have to worry about making friends. Friendships automatically happen. Moreover, you discover a new family in your own sporting teammates as you spend so much time with each other.
- You get to handle failures gracefully- There are events and tournaments where you might not win all the time. Losing teaches you, moreover winning a game. A loss will teach you how to manage the pressure, the criticism of poor performance, and most importantly, accepting failures gracefully. At the same time, you will learn how to move forward from the failure, restore confidence in yourself and succeed in the next game.
- Create positive first impressions at a young age- Being a student-athlete helps you to create positive first impressions at a young age. You are able to learn the skills of effective time management at a young age. You relish the opportunity to balance academics and sports together. You can mention the above in your resume and bag better opportunities in your career.
- Discipline and good habits- When you are a student-athlete, you inculcate discipline and good habits in your daily life. You eat a balanced diet, exercise regularly, stay off unhealthy drinks and food and sleep on time. These habits make you agile and physically fit to keep diseases and obesity at bay.
Ayden Hector concludes by saying being a student-athlete is a blessing early in life. You focus on personality development and the improvement of your strengths. You invoke credibility and trust. People respect you, and this does go the extra mile when it comes to shaping your future as a mature and responsible individual.